Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day


Why there's a Mother's Day.....
There was a time in my life I would have told you that being a mother was the best thing ever. Children were the best. I would have told you that they are so cute. You can dress them darling; they sing songs, play, dance, and say, “I wove you mama. You are the prettiest, bestest Mama in the world.” You work hard and teach them. They learn and you’re so proud.....

And then they turn 8-10, and they say, “I hate you, you’re the worst mom in the world, and you’re ugly!” They loose their teeth, they’re not as cute. They won’t wear what you buy them, and they stop doing their homework. Then they turn 13.....And your pretty much just want out. Yeah, there are those few moments when they still make you proud, or smile. But, you stop sleeping again. You wonder where they are, and who they are with, and you are really unsure of your lie detector skills. And you start to tell yourself that maybe you are the worst mother ever....

Where did you go wrong, and why do cell phones rule your world? And on Mother’s Day they say, and I quote.....”Mother’s Day is just another excuse for my mom to take advantage of my good nature.” (Corbin) So, I’m glad there’s a Mother’s Day, because even if they think I do nothing.....I can “take advantage of their good nature” for one day, because they have no idea how much I deserve it.....no idea!

I’m grateful for my Mother. I too didn’t appreciate my Mother as much as I should of at one time, but now I’m glad I have her around to tell me that being a mother does get better again. She’s been a mother since she was 15, so I think she has had enough experience, and I can trust that she knows what she’s talking about....even my kids think she’s a better mother than I am, so here’s to you mom. Happy Mother’s Day!




We, my Mom, Corbin, Channy, me, and Challis went to Denny’s for breakfast on Mother’s Day. My mom and I love to go to breakfast. Challis even got out of bed to come. He’d gone to the drive-in the night before and didn’t get home until 4 a.m., so it was quite a sacrifice on his behalf.




My Mom with the kids.








Channy gave me flowers that she made. She also gave me a cute card. Rick gave me new clothes and shoes, and my Mom gave me flowers and a stepping stone. But maybe the best gift I got, or didn’t get was from the SKUNK I saw on my morning run. I still can’t believe I got away without getting sprayed. :)

4 comments:

Amber said...

Glad you get to spend so much time with your mom, I love eating out for breakfast, it is my favorite. I loved reading your thoughts and they all seem so true. All teenagers go thru the unappreciative stage, I remember when I wasn't as close to my mom either. At least it changes back when they are adults. Your a great mom and your kids are lucky to have ya.

Brynne said...

I guess you must be right! You keep telling me slow down, enjoy the moment, he still is a baby, etc. Well, listening to everything you said I guess I am in that stage where I LOVE being a mom and can't wait to meet the next one! But I know that i was a horrible teenager to my mom, and now we are best friends. So, know that there is hope for the future. ;) Even SPIKE (most spoiled and rotten kid in the world in high school) now keeps telling my parents he was horrible and how much he loves and appreciates them. You just wait. They will come around! Happy mother's day. Oh yeah, and Rick never fails with his charm, does he?!

Brynne said...

By the way, go JAZZ! They are 2-2 now! Also, I can't believe Kim is prego...crazy! Is she doing okay?

Brooke G said...

You are a great writer! You are so funny!! I love all those thoughts about motherhood!!! Have you told me what to bring to the family bar-b-que at your house on the 31st yet? I can't remember. Ummm, yes, Tom will run St. George with me, and no he hasn't started running yet. (maybe walk? I don't know, but at least he is willing to try!!) And no, I am not going to run the syracuse 1/2, I did want to, but with my ankle sprain, I decided I better not push it. I have a sprint triathlon on May 17, then the next race is the provo Hobble Creek 10 miler. I hope my ankle is better by then!! great to talk to you through the blogs!!