Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday Flashback

Ogden Marathon (26.2 miles) One Year Ago This Weekend!
Photobucket Wow, it seems like a million years ago and just yesterday all at the same time; the red Gatorade on my shirt, the dehydration, the fatigue, the pain, the heat, the cramps, Metallica’s Enter Sandman playing in my ear, the course through Eden, Ogden Canyon, Ogden Parkway, the Finish Line. Oh, the Finish Line. It was a proud moment, a sad moment, a tired moment. My emotions were racing all at once, with the crowd all around me.

This year I’m only running the ½ marathon 13.2, but Rick will be joining me for his first race. I think it will be a blast. He’s an amazing runner, even though he hardly trained....he'll kick my butt. That part sucks. We’re picking our packets up this after noon and meeting other runners for a high carb dinner at Roosters in Ogden. I can’t wait.

I though I’d add the crazy ritual of stuff I put together the night before a race. Rick thinks I’m crazy because I have to have so much CRAP!
I pin my number to my clothes where I'd like it.

I put the timing chip on my running shoe. Important it’s secure, because I’m not running all that way for no reason...I wanna know my time.



I put out my Body Glide. It’s a lubricant used for chaffing, on my feet, under my arms, between my thighs. (maybe more than you need to know, but what the heck)



I put out a banana for breakfast, and a bottle of water to drink. Potassium is important for people who sweat like freakin’ pigs, like me.






A dry fit hat or sun visor to keep the sun off my face when it’s hot and sunny.




Sunglasses to keep the sun and wind out of my eyes.




You may have noticed my bumpy boobs. That’s Shot Blocks, Luna Moons or GU. I keep my stash there because it’s easily accessible when I’m running. They are energy boosters to eat during my race.




My iPod fully charged with rockin’ music to keep me going. It’s probably the most important accessory for me. Without it I’d likely just start walking.









Sweatbands for my wrists. They do a number of things: keep the sweat off my face, stop my watch from hitting my wrist bone and yes they make a nice Kleenex. Don’t you say disgusting! It’s those people like Rick that put a finger to their nose and blow snot on the people behind them that's disgusting!




My Garmin 301. It’s my pacer, my watch, my heart monitor, my goal. It rocks! Rick, get your own, better yet buy me a 305 and you can have my 301. :)




A DryFit tank. I prefer a racerback. Nike makes good ones. This is a cute pink one. :)







Running shorts. I like Nike Tempo Track shorts. They are nice to run in. They have a panty in them and they are light weight. Love um!





Duct Tape! That’s right! Duct Tape! It’s good for lot’s of things....Just ask Rick, he’ll fix anything with it. I use it to keep the skin on my feet, yep, that’s what I said. I put it on my left foot because Mole Skin sweats off and Duct Tap sticks. People think I’m crazy...maybe so.




Degree spray deodorant. Not for the pits....for the feet! Rick really shakes his head at this one. The more you sweat the worse your blisters, and did I mention I sweat like a freakin’ pig? Yep. I did. So you see... I duct tape, then I lube, then I spray and then I....










Put on special socks. Special, that’s right! I like Adidas coolmax cushion socks. They have extra cushion in the forefront of the foot, arch support, and they are made with a breathable thread that keeps your feet nice, cool, and dry....well as dry as they can be.








Lastly and most important next to, sleep, training, nutrition, and a will to win (ok, finish,) the shoes: Adidas Supernova cush 7’s I really like them, and I’ve tried a ton of shoes. Well, there you have it, all my crazy running stuff. ;)

No comments: