Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Out with the old and in with the NEW!

Mark Twain
New Year's is a harmless annual institution, of no particular use to anybody save as a scapegoat for promiscuous drunks, and friendly calls and humbug resolutions.

I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'm still a resolution kind of person even though this past year I was humbled by my resolution to run another marathon. I was forced to recognize that just because I want to, and train to, doesn't mean I can. I did manage to make it through an 18 mile race, but my foot just wouldn't hold up, and I was faced with ruining myself for my goal, or accepting my limitations and remaining healthy.

I did however, reach my goal of spending more time with friends and family, and I am richer for it. I really enjoyed my friends, my family as well as Rick's. Thanks to all of you that participated in helping me reach my goal.

So, now it's on to this years list. I've decided to make it a bit longer....go big! So, here's my list. I chose categories that are popular and made my goals fit into them.


#1 Give up drinking or smoking. (I don't drink or smoke, so just give up something I love...I guess) This truly may be the hardest thing I do all year. I can't believe I'm going to even type this.........I will give up french fry's.

#2 Get organized.....I will find all of my photos and organize them. That should take up 6 months of the year.

#3 Help others.....I will volunteer in my community. I'm not sure exactly what I will do, but I will have something lined up by the end of Jan. Suggestions are welcome.

#4 Learn something new.....I will learn to swim. I can keep myself alive, but I wouldn't really call it swimming.

#5 Do something "GREEN".....I will read my newspaper on line, and give up home delivery. Really, I don't read it that much anyhow, so no biggie.

#6 Enjoy life more.......I will invite friends, family, or someone new over for dinner once a month, and I will go somewhere, see something, or do something I've never done before once a month. This one I should really enjoy....I'm not a great cook, so if you're invited...remember it's about the company, not the food.

#7 Improve your fitness......I will make a list of races to run and try and beat my best times. I will also do a mini triathlon. (I've never done one)

#8 Tame the Bulge....I will lose 5 lbs, and won't gain it back all year. I should make it 10, but that would just be setting myself up for failure.

#9 Be smart with your money....I will cook more. Eat out less, and waste less food. Talk about taking all the joy out of life!

#10 Take a trip......I will go on a cruise with Rick to Mexico, and take a trip with the family. The cruise is already planned...I'll get back to you on the family vacation.

K, as a side note, some other things I want to do this year. Get better at photography, Start a reading group and read more.

Resolutions made by the rest of the family (Cuz I made them make one!)

Challis - Do good in school. Make new friends. Get better job.

Corbin - Regain my speed and strength, so I can start varsity next year.

Chantel - Make new friends.

Rick – (I'll post it as soon as I talk to him)

I hope you all have a wonderful New Years Eve. Stay safe. And really, truly, put an effort into enjoying this next year......cuz, you ain’t dead yet!

5 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

I love it. I wish I only had 5 pounds to lose...

My resolution for today is to get my flat tire fixed before the new year starts!

Happy New Year!

Sonya said...

I'm going to train to run/walk the Layton City 10k fun run in July with my daughter...we could use some company:). Love your list, come to Arizona when you want to get away from the snow! Happy New Year!

Joan said...

What a great list - my, you're ambitious! I LOVE #6 & plan to adopt it in with my resolutions. Thanks for the idea! We all need to enjoy life more. Your new family photo is really good. Have a great New Year! Love ya!

Rose said...

Great New Years Resolutions. You motivate me to get mine written down. It's also a great idea to have the family make New Years Resolutions, too.

Heather Leigh said...

You're a great motivator. My first resolution...make it through 8 more weeks of Boot Camp. That should do it for now. :)