Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Big Apple

Loved, Loved, Loved it!

As some of you know, I hate the big city, but I loved the biggest city of all. We ended up in NYC because my plane ticket was much less expensive to fly into NYC than Boston or Connecticut. So I said, "Guess we should see it while we're there." But, I wasn't all that excited about it.

Then when we got there....I loved it. The more I saw...the more disappointed I was that I only had one day to spend there. We rode a bus from the airport to NYC. It was a 90 min ride...even though the guy at the airport said it would be about 30 min. Then we ate....shamefully at McDonald's. I was a little scared to try anything new. Then we got on the tour bus. I figured it was the best way to see the city in a very short amount of time.

Below: A great shot of the city streets. I'd heard people say that the honking makes you crazy, but I really didn't notice that much honking.

Photobucket
The Empire State Building. It truely is a sight to see. I was sad I didn't get to go inside though....no time.
Photobucket
The architecture in NYC is amazing....old and ornate, simple, brown stones, dazzling sky scrapers, glass, steal, brick, block....it has it all!
Photobucket
A shot of China Town for Challis. It was really my least favorite part of NYC, however the largest growing part of the city shoving back Little Italy to one block. My favorite part of the city was Greenwich Village. It was so quaint. I also liked Soho, and Chelsie.
Photobucket
Another shot of the amazing arcitecture. The bottom part of the building was built by William Randolf Hurst during the depression...He figured 6 stories would be enough, but no they added on to it latter. I think they did an amazing job. It's beautiful.

Photobucket


Time Square! Amazing! Loved it! It's like The strip in Vegas, but smaller and much taller!
Photobucket

Photobucket
It's so cool you have to see it in person. No photos would do it justice.
Photobucket
Your are going to die, but Toys R Us is the only store I was able to go in. It was so cool. Below is a shot of the huge Superman hanging down. I really think that NYC is a girls vacation. There's so much shopping to be done. Girls we need to put a little trip together...trust me...you wanna go.
Photobucket
A Naval ship that is now a museum. Really cool, but once again no time to see the inside.
Photobucket
A shot from the night harbor tour looking back at the city. You can see the Empire St. Building on the right.
Photobucket
Tug Boats.
Photobucket
More of the city.
Photobucket
The beautiful Statue of Liberty. Breathtaking !
Photobucket
The most beautiful thing there. Wish I had time to go inside.

Photobucket

The Staten Island Fairy. One of the few things you can do for free in NYC. I didn't get to go, but the Harbor Cruse was just as amazing, just not as cheap I'm sure.
Photobucket
Freakin' Cool. The night lights are crazy amazing. The Empire St Buldg. was lit up in Red, White and Blue. I was so excited because it was only supposed to be white the night we were there.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Fashion: Just a little note about what is "in style" in NYC. Boots! Tights! Skirts! Black Coats! Jeans! Scarfs! and that is it. That's all you need. All in Black..no other color! NO OTHER COLOR! NONE! ONLY BLACK! Guess that's why my RED coat stood out. I felt like a dork. Rick and I were the only people in sweats in NYC. Let me defend our clothing. We took the red eye, took a bus, toured all day, then missed our bus back to the airport...YEP! Took the Subway, took a train then drove to Connecticut and got here at...3 :15 a.m. No sleep for almost 48 hours. If we didn't have comfort we'd have killed each other.....ok!
Photobucket

Photobucket
The Financial District. The Dow closed yesterday below 8,000. The lowest close in over 5 years. One of the things they told us on the tour was that after 9-11 many of the companies chose not to come back to the area. They just didn't feel safe. Many of the big buildings are being made into personal residences. The average cost of a small apartment in Manhattan is between 3,000 and 5,000 dollars a month. WOW!
Photobucket

Photobucket
The thing that made me the most sad was that this is Thanksgiving week. There are so many festivities going on in NYC this week including the lighting of the Big Tree at Rockefeller Center. You can see the lights on the tree on the right. The stores have all of there amazing window displays up, and it's so cool. I really wish I could have gone in Macy's.....it huge! I really have got to come back. There's so much I didn't get to see.
Photobucket
Well, Corbin I hope it was worth the wait. Sorry I didn't have time to post yesterday. I love and miss you all. Kisses.

MOM.

8 comments:

Brenda said...

Awesome pictures!!! I'm jealous, it looks like so much fun. Hope you're having a great time!

Sonya said...

NYC is the best! You'll just have to go back again. It is one of my favorite cities. I'm glad you got to go. Have fun on the rest of your trip :).

Amy Harrison said...

I went to NYC the 4th of July after 9/11. It was sobering seeing them working on Ground Zero. I spent about 3 days there and still didn't have time to go into alot of the places either. It's one of my dream destinations to go back to and spend some time. Fun! Great pictures.

Anonymous said...

Definitely one of my favorite vacay spots! I lived there for a year as a nanny and have been back many times! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. If you haven't been to Chicago, then you will love it as well. Its like a mini NY city but cleaner! Great pictures!

Amber said...

J E A L O U S ;) Glad your having a good time, it looks amazing.

My name is Andrea said...

How fun! I think you guys look great, I love sweats!

My mom is taking me to NYC next year for my 40th (yikes) birthday...I am even more excited now!

RETTJ16 said...

You got some awesome pictures! Great job!! I am jealous...i love NYC. I would visit there yearly if i could.

heidi said...

NYC is the best- so much to do, so many people, but girl, you took the town by storm in a very short period of time. It definitely is a girls trip- the great stores and than the bargain shopping on Canal street and all the plays. If you ever need anyone to go out there with, just let me know! ;)