Saturday, April 5, 2008

My worst race EVER!

Striders 1/2 marathon.




Well, when your body crashes....it crashes. And my body crashed and burned today. I didn't really see it coming either. I felt great before the race. I thought I'd be fine, but NO! By mile 3 I knew I was in trouble. My legs have been having problems, and they just wouldn't go. I had nothing. Then my stomach started cramping with back pain, and I felt like I was going to throw up. I got rid of my jacket in the canyon because I felt too hot, and that turned out to be a huge mistake. When I got out of the canyon, the wind was sooooo cold. I couldn't move my hands or my arms. I was ready to call it quits, and then.......My knight in shining Adidas showed, RICK. I was never so happy to see him. It was like he was a mirage. He was supposed to wait for me at the finish, but he decided to come run me in. Thank the Lord! We made a stop at an aid station and I went in the porta-potty, where a man muscled open my LOCKED door to expose me to all the other runners. That was another high light for me. :) Then after I clawed my clothes back on with my frozen paws, Rick, like a gentleman, gave me his jacket, and helped me to the finish line. Without him....I don't think I could have finished. When I got home I took a shower and went back to bed. I feel like @#$%. So here is my shameful time. :( I finished 19 in my adg division, with at time of 2:01.

19 Tiffany Gatten 414 39 283 2:01:28.0 9:16/M

On another note, I'm so proud of my friends who ran. Missy was so strong. She kicked butt even without Teresa. Teresa was at a funeral (sorry for her loss.) And Lisa beat her last race time. Way to go girl.

5 Missy Nichols 544 40 182 1:51:21.7 8:30/M
13 Lisa Stofferahn 628 40 270 1:59:59.0 9:10/M

I'm sure that I've dropped considerably in the standings. Dang it. Maybe I need some rest.

3 comments:

The Larsons said...

Darn! So sorry it wasn't pleasant for you! What a great hubbie you have to come and rescue you!!! You still didn't do bad at all! But do take some rest you over achiever! :)

Oh, LOVED the dentist post! :) Makes me wonder what kind of dentist I'm married to. :)

Brynne said...

That's really cute that Rick came to run you in! What a good guy. I think it's funny you thought you did so horrible...you did fine! I know what you mean, though, when you know you're doomed not too long into it...it sucks when you have an off day!

Amber said...

It's amazing to me how many races you do. Everyone has a bad day sometimes, and I can't imagine running when it is so cold out. So glad Rick joined you and shame on that guy for opening the door, as if you needed something else rotten to add to your day. Keep us posted on your races.