Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History

Humble, Grateful, and Mindful.

Photobucket

Today, Corbin and I watched the 44th President of the United States take his oath of office. It indeed was a moment to behold. I felt pride for my nation that so many took part in this momentous event. It was nice to see so many people care for a change. A change, will there be change? There has to be. In the beginning of the speech he said that he felt humble, grateful, and mindful. I felt good about that. They are all qualities that must be present in a great leader. Now if our nations people could be the same...that would be change. I also feel humble, grateful, and mindful these days.

I also felt sadness for President Bush who left today. I feel so many have been blatantly disrespectful to him in his last days, and yet he left with such dignity. I certainly hope that history has more respect for him then the citizens he's served. As he flew away I thought, "I hope he sleeps in tomorrow, and does the things he enjoys."

ABC news reported that 1,400,000 people were present on the nations mall to watch the inauguration. In 2005 there were 400,000 there for President Bush's. If nothing else, President Obama has the ear of the nation at this time. He'd better speak out quickly because as every president knows our nation is a fickle one, and our opinions change as quickly as the White House Web Page.

I saw pictures of President Bush on his first day of office and then one of his last. You could see how much the demands, and stress of the Presidency had aged him. President Obama looked so relaxed and young today. It will be interesting to see him in 4 or 8 years. It's a tough job, and I as a citizen of this nation wish him all the best....after all, all our lives are in his hands.

2 comments:

Sonya said...

It definetly was a historic day. I hope he can live up to his promises too :). I need to find me a replacement for a couple days cause I want to sleep in too!

Rose said...

I, too, was sad about how disrespectful some were to President Bush. I would never want that job, but someone has to do it.