Sunday, April 26, 2009

Run Like You Stole It!

Or run like you stole my dream....
So, I had a goal this year to finish in the top 3 overall in my age division in the Strider's Winter Racing Circuit. It's 5 races, 5K, 10K, 10 mile, 1/2 marathon, and a 30K. It was all going so well. I was kicking butt. After the 10 mile race, I thought I could really do it....Then I got sick. My 1/2 marathon was a dud, and I knew my chances weren't good after that. My 30 K went well enough, but it wasn't enough to place...I finished 5th. I was fine......Until....Rick, who in the beginning said, "Yeah, I guess I'll sign up, but I don't really want to." Walked next to me and said, "Hey! I took 3rd place overall. *smile*" Is it wrong that I'm not all that happy for him????? *sigh* Whatever!!! I'm trying to be happy for him.


The 30K.
This was our last race, 18.6 miles. Even though Rick took 3rd overall he struggled in this race. He made a huge mistake. He took a GU (It's an energy gel to provide calories and electrolytes for long distance runs) without water. Funny thing, he's made this mistake before...go figure. Anyhow, it makes your intestines cramp and swell. Not a fun experience.....especially if you do it in the first 3 miles of a 18+ run. He finished, but he felt like "you know what" all day and night. His time 2:30. He did announce his retirement from distance running after this race. He said, "People who run over 13.1 miles, and pay money to do it, are just stupid. And after I run Ogden, I'm NEVER doing it again!"

I had a great race! I was on target at mile 16 to beat my time from last year... even though it was raining, and snowing, and freezing. Then...I hit the wall. My body slowed, and started to show signs of dehydration, but I hung on. Mile 18 my left leg cramped, seized, and wouldn't bend. I really thought I'd have to hop-walk .6 miles to finish, but I gave it a little time and it kinda started to work. Needless to say, I didn't beat my time.....but I finished. My time 2:53


I also wanted to give a shout out to my friend, Teresa O., who took 2nd place in her age division...way to go girl!

For those of you that don't know, Rick will be doing his first marathon May 16th, so wish him luck. AND, if you have nothing to do....Go watch him finish. I am doing a sprint Tri that day, and I don't think I'll make it there before he finishes to support him. He should finish between 10:10am and 10:30am. The finish line is at 25th street and Grant in Ogden. Brooke and Tom are running the 1/2 that day if you'd like to see them finish, call them for an approximate finish time.

8 comments:

Rose said...

5th place is awesome. Good job. I agree with Rick, though. Why do people pay money to run long distances like that?

My name is Andrea said...

Congratulations, Tiff. You have to know how amazing it is that you have done what you have, even if you aren't thrilled with the results. I am very proud of you and admire how well you've done and how you've powered through illness and sucky weather. You couldn't pay me to run uphill in a snowstorm. Or rain. Or wind.
You are amazing, great job!!

awindowsillview said...

You are so awsome!!! I read about all your races and I'm just in awe-you are seriously a machine! That's funny about Rick not even wanting to sign up and he ends up taking 3rd, lol!! Good luck with the tri on the 16th...wish I had gotten in, maybe that would have given me some motivation to so something! You rock!!

Joan said...

Wow!! Congrats on such a huge accomplishment. You inspire me to try harder. Awesome! Marty ran his 1st marathon @ Camp Pendleton (CA) on Saturday. His time was 4:34 which put him 12th out of 24 runners in his age group. His hips & knees hurt bad @ mile 20, but he kept pushing on. I am proud of all of you! Way2go!
Marty's email is martin.gale@usmc.mil if you want to send your blogspot to him.

The Larsons said...

You two rock! Seriously! I kind of agree with Rick though about the long distance running... although I've never ran further, I'm not sure if I ever want to. :) Way to go you two!

Mylee Gatten said...

Congrats to both of you!!

I know the feeling about the GU. I actually don't like to use them anymore. It doesn't matter how much water I take them with, they still upset my stomach. I just would rather drink Gatorade at the water stops and eat caffeinated jelly beans every mile. That seems to work better for me. I hate those stupid GU's.

But I have only run 1 marathon, so I am not really that experienced, and I was so sick the entire marathon (flu) that I could hardly get myself to drink water, let alone eat anything.

Sonya said...

Congrats to both of you! I will have to agree with Rick on the long distance running - very funny! You amaze me that you keep up with it!

Mylee Gatten said...

Hey, I am wondering if you got my email I sent about staying at your house...??? We are planning to come, Tom got the night off, so let us know if that will be ok! Thanks, brooke