Friday, March 13, 2009

Read All About IT!

Book Club.
Brenda, Kristi, Heather, Jenny, Me.
Photobucket

Last night we had our first Book Club meeting. These girls are really fun. I enjoy all of their opinions...even if we differ in opinion. Our first book was The Time Travelers Wife. It was read with mixed reviews. I'd give it a 4 out of 5. It lost points for excessive foul language, crudeness, and adult content (Others in the group would have deducted much more for these, as they were much more offended by it.). But over all I loved the whole idea of the book which was time travel. It made me think about what I would do if it really was possible. And I enjoyed the struggle of the main character to survive through his life that he has no control over, and how it effects the people he loves as well. Our next book is The Shack. I can't wait.

6 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

I made it about 1/2 way through The Shack. I didn't care for it. But most of the gals here loved it. I've always wanted to read the Time Travelers Wife. Is ist Anita Shreve? I have liked other books of hers...try "All He Ever Wanted" and "Sea Glass". Loved both of them.

The pool in that post is our neighborhood pool...we can't decide if it would be worth it to get one in our yard...with the economy like it is, I don't want to commit to the cost of it anyway!! It's fun to have one so close!

And I loved the Octomom costume!!

My name is Andrea said...

duh. I think I was thinking of the Astronaut's Wife...Shreve didn't write the time traveler one...sorry.

My name is Andrea said...

Nope, the Pilot's Wife. I'm giving up now.

Sonya said...

Bummer! I had that on my Shelfari "to read" list :(. I can handle a little language, but too much deters from the story line in my opinion and I think writers do the written language a disservice by overusing it! I do agree that time travel would be cool (mainly why I wanted to read it). Oh, I probably will just to see; thanks for the review!

RETTJ16 said...

I loved the Time Travelers Wife! I also was a little shocked at the language and some of the detail in it, but great story! I think they are making a movie of it!!

Let me know what you think of the Shack! I just finished it about a week ago!!

Brooke G said...

I was glad to get your review of the book. I actually just checked that book out from the library, but two other books I checked out took much more time to read than I expected. ("John Adams" by ?McCullou?? I know I am butchering the last name, but awesome book...Non-fiction, and higher difficulty but worth it.)

That is awesome you are starting a book club with your friends! I started one in my neighborhood 3 years ago, and we have loved it!!! And it is fun to talk about the books, and listen to views that you don't always catch as you read it!