Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Summer 2012!

Well, so far it's been a very pleasant summer. We've gone down to Visit Corbin a couple of times. While we were there we went up to see the volcano. Who knew Utah had volcanoes? I always wondered where that lava rock came from.


Rick and I ran Snow Canyon with our friends Sarah and Dustin Adams and they asked if we wanted to start from above the volcano or below. So after we ran, I had to go see it. Then we took everyone else to see it.  We didn't get a picture of the volcano, but we did take this family picture with Snow Canyon in the background.  I think it's beautiful!
Chantel, Corbin, Rick and Tiffany 
On our next visit to see them we went to Zion's National Park. It was a beautiful day with a temperature of only 102. As you may know, you can't drive most of Zion's anymore...You must take a bus.....A very hot bus.
Rick, Tiffany, Chantel, Bethany, and Corbin
Everyone enjoyed the water on such a hot day. The red rock, green trees and blue water make for beautiful hikes.
The kids on a bridge. Lower Emerald Pools Hike.

There is a "waterfall", more like water mist, when you get to the lower pools, and I must say....It's the most refreshing thing ever!  One little boy asked his mom how it was raining when there were no clouds....So CUTE!

Corbin and Rick enjoying the view. Weeping Rock Trail.
Zion's really is a beautiful place. I hadn't been since I was a kid, and I was in AWWW! Pictures really don't do this National Park any justice at all.
Panoramic of Weeping Rock 
Bethany and Corbin on the River Walk Trail
Corbin and Bethany in the Virgin River in Zion's National Park
Corbin and Bethany did go all the way in the river up to their shoulders. The water was surprisingly warm until you got waist deep....Then I'm told it got a lot colder.
Chantel, Rick, and Corbin on Father's day 2012
It just so happens it was Father's Day the day were were at Zion's, and I think it was one of the better Father's day's Rick ever had.

Tiffany and Rick Court of the Patriarchs Zion's National Park

In the background are three towering cliffs. The early Mormon settlers that farmed the canyon named them after prophets in the old testament. Left is Abraham, center is Isaac, and  right is Jacob. I guess they gave several of the cliffs religious themed names such as Angel's Landing, where it is said only the angels could land because of the steep cliffs on all sides.  The next time I'm in Zion's I'd really like to hike the Narrow's ....and possibly Angel's Landing...if only I can find the courage.


Speaking of the Bible.  I read a book on this trip called The Red Tent and quite enjoyed it. It's a fictional story about Jacob's only daughter.
Big Horn Sheep in Zion's National Park

In this picture you see the bus in the center at the bottom.  You can see how small it is compared to the cliff walls.
Can you see Corbin on Checkerboard Mesa? He just had to climb on it.




Chantel cooling off by the river
Chantel at the water station
If you plan a trip to Zion's, our best advice is take advantage of the water bottle stations.


Sand Hallow State Park
We also enjoyed some time at Sand Hallow State Park when we visited.  What can I say, it's over 100 degrees every day there. You have to cool off somehow.

Here's Bethany Cooling off in the lake.  She didn't want me to take this picture, but I told her she'd thank me when she was old. :)




You can see all of the people on the rock, it's where you cliff jump.  Corbin, Rick and I jumped off. It was really fun.  It took me awhile to work up the courage, but I did it!


I have to say that the best part of the trip was when Corbin and Bethany made us breakfast.  It was Delicious! They've turned into really good cooks.  I'm so proud of them.

1 comment:

Brynne said...

You guys have such fun! :) Beautiful pictures.