Sunday, June 7, 2009

Once is enough!

Ogden Marathon.

Rick ran the Ogden Marathon last month. It was his first Marathon ever. Rick is a great runner, but even this was tough for him. He had a great first 1/2 running fast and strong, but then the cramping set in going into the canyon. He struggled with his second 1/2. The cramping made him stop and go the whole way. A stranger helped out giving him electrolyte tables, and Rick credits the stranger's help with letting him finish. Somehow, there's always that special stranger who helps out....thank heavens for them. Rick stopped about 100 ft from the finish trying to find the will to finish....he eventually found it and finished 3:39. We couldn't be more proud. He said, "Never again!" Honestly, he's only run one time in the last month. I think it took everything out of him. But, he'd better get running soon, he has a race in 10 days (Ragnar.)
Rick after his finish.
Photobucket
My mom, Channy, Cole, and Corbin came out to support him.
Photobucket

8 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

All I can say is wow. I have always wanted to be able to say I ran a marathon, just not really sure I actually want to run one. Maybe I'll do a 1/2 someday?? Less than 4 hours is awesome! Way to go!

Amber said...

Good job Rick. I think I would collapse and die if I tried a marathon. Good luck at Ragnar, I have a few friends running that too. See ya in a couple weeks.

I've been a blog slacker too, but I'm going to be better at updating:)

Gatten Gang said...

Way to go Rick. I think all you younger generation are awesome for trying to push your selves physically. Good job.

Rose said...

That's awesome. A marathon is so long. The ragnar sounds fun, though. Good luck.

Tyler and Mikin Morton said...

WooHoo!!! I thought after me half, I will never run a full... so way to go, man. That is quite the accomplished time, too. Love those strangers along the way. What a great story.

Sonya said...

Congrats! My brother-in-law and sister-in-law both ran it too this year and they said it was hard! Kudos to him for finishing :). I don't know how you both do it!

Brynne said...

3:39 and he was stop and go the second half? He must have been hauling!! Nice work and way to finish. You are amazing to even do it! I say "never" period. :)

Brooke G said...

Rick, thanks again for putting us up that night at your house, you are such a great family. and WAY TO GO!!! You are such an inspiration to Tom and I!